History

Inniscarra GAA History
(taken from a Celebration of Gaelic Games in Muskerry)

Founded in 1886 when one of the club secretaries, Timothy O’Sullivan was elected to the committee of the Cork County Board on its formation – also in 1886. Inniscarra was one of 22 clubs that entered the county senior hurling championship in 1887 and a commitment was given to also engage, if possible in championship football matches, handball and athletics.

The clubs first available minute book in 1888 records the officers of the Inniscarra Dr. Tanner Club as it was then called – named after Dr Charles Tanner M.P. – as follows: 
President:           Rev J. Nunan,
Vice-Chairman: Timothy Lane
Hon. Secretary: Timothy O’Callaghan,
Captain:            William Ryan 
Vice-Captain:    John O’Mahony
Referee:            Timothy O’Sullivan
Committee – Dr. J, Ryan, John Hennessy, Edmond M. Mahony, John Burns, John Corcoran, John Sheehan

Club Colours: Blue and White
Playing Grounds: Ballyanly (as well as the Inniscarra Community Centre Grounds) 
Previously at Tower ( Barry’s Inch), Cloghroe (Jack Hennessy’s land adjacent to the former Healy’s Licensed premises - nowadays Blair’s), Joe O’Callaghan’s field at Ballyanly, Con Desmond’s field, Ballyanly, Upper Cloghroe (John O’Brien’s field), Ryan’s Inch near Dripsey Bridge, and Tim Lane’s field in Berrings.

Austin Cremin noted the contribution by many in the area to the club and in particular of Tim Lane who was referred to in the Inniscarra History book as the gentleman hurler, able administrator and the clubs greatest benefactor in the sixties with the use of his land as a pitch, until the realisation of the community complex. Tim Lane was Captain of the Inniscarra team who won the Junior Hurling in 1942 to become the first holders of the Kelleher trophy. Regarding the use of Tim Lane’s land as a pitch the club had many locations over the years but Berrings appeared to be the location they returned to many times as they also had accommodations in Joe O’Callaghan’s and Con Desmonds fields before eventually settling for their permanent home in Ballyanly.

The decades ending in five were very successful for the club. The first Junior Hurling championship title was won in 1935 and success came again in 1942 and a third win followed in 1945. The fourth title came in 1947 and they were successful again in 1965 and 1968. The big breakthrough arrived in 1975 with a divisional final win over great rivals Aghabullogue and this brought further glory with a great victory over Ballymartle in the County Junior Final. The period in the Intermediate ranks has been made up of some excellent displays and near misses and they continue to proudly fly the club colours.

Success within the Underage section in recent times would indicate better days ahead for the Intermediate grade. We have also seen lots of success in Football in recent years.
As stated at the outset Inniscarra was represented on the Cork County Board back in 1886 in the person of Timothy O’Sullivan and this link is still very much maintained today at the present time with Bob Ryan, a former Inniscarra Chairman, being elected to the highest office of the County Board. Bob has served in different positions prior to being elected Chairman and he also served as Muskerry development officer in 2000-2006. Austin Cremin served as Vice Chairman and Chairman from 1966-1978 and has now been elected as President of the Muskerry division while holding a similar position in the Inniscarra club. Pat O’Mahony, a former club secretary, retired as Board Secretary in 2010 after an astounding 35 years in the position and a grand total of 54 years as an officer of the division.

Click here to view past articles about Inniscarra GAA.




Back to top